JH Cliick Immigration

You can now submit proof of Canadian citizenship applications online

submit proof of Canadian citizenship online

Source: CIC News

Canada is now accepting online requests for proof of citizenship.

Using the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) online portal, you can submit your application, pay the fees, and send any supporting documents.

There are three actions you can take with the new portal:

  • request a replacement proof-of-citizenship (also called a citizenship certificate) that does not require changes to the information on the certificate, such as name or birth-date;
  • submit straightforward claims for proof of citizenship by descent; or
  • request a search of citizenship records.

You can apply online for a proof of citizenship if your Canadian parent was:

  • granted citizenship on or after April 17, 2009, or
  • born in Canada on or after February 15, 1977.

Otherwise, you will have to submit a paper application.

The government has an online tool that allows you to see if you are eligible to apply online. If so, you will be prompted to create an account, or login with an existing one. You will also need an account if you are requesting your own records. If you are requesting someone else’s records, you have to make the request on paper.

IRCC says in a media release the applications will save time for those making requests from outside Canada and the U.S. You no longer need to go in person to an embassy or high commission to submit these applications— but you can if you want to.

The Canadian government will still accept and process paper applications. If you already submitted a paper application, IRCC says not to complete an online application for the same request.

About proof of citizenship

If you were born outside Canada, but one of your parents was born in Canada, you may be eligible for citizenship status. In order to get it though, you need a Proof of Citizenship.

With this document, you can enjoy the benefits of citizenship, such as getting a Canadian passport, working in Canada, or voting in Canadian elections.