Canada has over 100 different economic class pathways available to Indian immigrants.
Source: CIC News
Under its Immigration Levels Plan, the Canadian government aims to welcome over 400,000 new permanent residents to the country each year.
As Canada’s greatest source of new permanent residents, India continues to be an important partner in reaching this goal.
In 2019, before COVID-19 disrupted immigration, one-quarter of all new Canadian immigrants arrived from India. If immigration patterns return to normal following flight suspensions and other COVID-19 travel restrictions, Canada could expect to welcome over 100,000 new permanent residents from India per year.
Travel from India to Canada
Direct flights from India have resumed since September 27, 2021. The government has updated its requirements for COVID screening at the port of entry. Please review the latest government guidelines before your departure.
As of July 5, 2021, fully vaccinated travellers may qualify for some exemptions to quarantine and testing by meeting the following criteria:
- Eligible to enter Canada
- Meet Government of Canada requirements for fully vaccinated travellers
- Meet all entry requirements, including entering your information in ArriveCAN before arriving
The Government of Canada website provides a complete checklist of requirements that must be met before entering Canada. Up to date travel information is also provided here.
Those looking to immigrate from India have several different programs available to gain permanent residency in Canada. Some of the most popular programs include:
Express Entry is an application management system for skilled workers with foreign work experience who want to immigrate to Canada permanently. In 2019, 46% of all invitations through the Express Entry program went to Indian nationals. The process for gaining permanent residence through Express Entry includes:
- Find out if you are eligible. Candidates for this program must meet minimum requirements including skilled work experience, language ability, and educational requirements.
- Prepare your documents. You will need to provide a series of documents including your passport, a written job offer, proof of funds, and language test results to prove proficiency in English or French. For more information on the accepted language tests and how to register click here.
- Submit your profile. Upon submission of your information, you will be added to a pool of candidates. Express Entry rates candidates using a points-based system based on skills, educations, language ability and other factors.
- Receive invitation. Candidates with the highest scores will receive an invitation to apply for permanent residency. You will have 60 days to submit your application.
Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
The PNP is another program available for skilled workers who want to immigrate to a province in Canada and become permanent residents. Each province has requirements and different “streams” in which provinces target particular groups including students, business people, skilled workers or semi-skilled workers.
How you apply for PNP will depend on the stream of interest. Some streams require a paper-based application while others use an online process through Express Entry. As part of the PNP application process, you will have to pass a medical exam and police check.
Be aware that in most cases, you will need to provide your biometrics (fingerprint and photograph) as part of the application program.
Overall Canada has over 100 different economic class pathways, plus a range of other options including family sponsorship streams available to Canadian citizens and
For more information on how to immigrate to Canada and the programs and services available, visit the Government of Canada’s website here.
How to prepare financially for life in Canada
Before moving to Canada, it’s important to prepare yourself financially. If you are applying for Express Entry, you will need to provide proof of funds. This is to demonstrate that you have enough money to support yourself and your family when you arrive in Canada.
Opening an international bank account in Canada can help demonstrate proof of funds.